Sunday, February 14, 2010

For Valentine's Day: Charles + Emma



Charles Darwin to his betrothed Emma Wedgwood: (January, 1839)

"I think you will humanize me, & soon teach me there is greater happiness, than building theories, & accumulating facts in silence & solitude. My own dearest Emma, I earnestly pray, you may never regret the great, & I will add very good, deed, you are to perform on the Tuesday: my own dear future wife, God bless you."

Emma, describing Charles to a favorite aunt, November, 1938:

He is the most open, transparent man I ever saw, and every word expresses his real thoughts. He is particularly affectionate . . . and possesses some minor qualities that add particularly to one's happiness, such as not being fastidious, and being humane to animals."

They married, January 29, 1839; Charles was 30. Their marriage lasted until Charles’ death at the age 73 (April, 1882).

No comments:

Post a Comment